Matrimonial Real Property Rights

Matrimonial Real Property (MRP) - what is it?

Matrimonial real property can include land held by one or both spouses or common-law partners and used by the family, ie. houses, sheds, mobile homes or other structures on that land. It does not include things such as cars, money, clothing or televisions.

In the event of death, divorce or separation, peeople living off reserve have provincial law rights and protections regarding their family home. These provincial law rights and protections do not apply to those living on reserve. 

To give people living on reserves comparable protections and rights as those living off reserve, a law was put in place on Dec 16, 2013, called the Family Home on Reserves and Matrimonial Interests or Rights Act (the Act).

For the full INAC legislation, follow this link

More information is available at the aboriginal legal aid website as well. Check it out! 


The Center of Excellence for MRP is hosted by the National Aboriginal Lands Managers Association (NALMA) to assist Band Councils/on reserve. Their website is 

What's Newread all the updates

Education Advisor POSTING

Please see the posting for the GGC Education Advisor June 2019

read more

GGC Office Holiday Closure

The GGC office will be closed from noon Dec 21, 2018, to Jan 2, 2019, at 8 am. 

read more